Friday, August 5, 2011

When God Gives You Rinds, Make Pickles!

My volunteer watermelon vines produced wonderful fruit with a variety of different sizes. One was 29.8 lbs.  I just call it a “30 pounder.”

  Even this heat-loving plant didn’t produce as many melons as I would have expected. Since they volunteered from last year’s volunteers, I have no idea what kind they are. When I opened them I was disappointed at how thick the white rind was.

It would have been perfect if I wanted to make “Watermelon Rind Pickles.” I didn’t consider it with the first harvest. Now I might.: 

Pickled Watermelon Rind
 
1 6-lb watermelon
6 c water
2 Tbs sea salt, divided
1 tsp pickling spice
3 1/3-inch slices fresh ginger
2 whole clove
2 whole allspice
1 3-inch cinnamon stick
1 1/4 c sugar
1 c white vinegar
 
Peel outer green layer from watermelon rind.
Cut rind into 1/2-inch pieces. Bring water and 5 tsp. salt to boil in large saucepan.
Add rind. Reduce heat and simmer 15 min. or until crisp-tender.
Drain rind and place in large bowl.
 
Tie up spices in cheesecloth and place in a saucepan.
Add 1 tsp salt, sugar and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring until sugar dissolves.
Pour hot vinegar mixture over rinds. Cool to room temp. Cover and chill 12 hours.
 
Strain liquid from rind mixture and bring to a boil.
Return rind pieces and spice bag to room-temp bowl and pour boiled liquid over them
Chill at least 8 hours before serving.
 
Refrigerate up to 2 weeks.----from Joanne Cheshier


I’m chagrined to realize how I’ve evaluated this gift from God.
I did nothing to make them grow except identify the vine and not pull it up. I’ve gotten five watermelons staggered so that we can eat and share before the next one must be harvested. And I’m bemoaning the size of the rind?!

I think I need to re-read my Bible, especially the part about learning to be content in all circumstances. (Philippians 4:11) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Pages